Thursday, January 3, 2008

Latest OS for Nokia N800 much better

I've flashed the lastest OS2008 to my Nokia N800. Now Skype is working as well as Gizmo, Claws, xterm, and x11vnc server. Before you run out and flash you should probably check that your favorite apps are working on OS2008 or chinook.

To start you will need the WLAN MAC ID number found on your battery.

Here is a link to the .bin file to download. It will ask for that number above and you have to agree to the terms. The download is about 135 MB.

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php

the file is named RX-34_2008SE_2.2007.50-2_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin. It is described as "Software Edition 2008 version 2.2007.50-2 for Nokia N800"

I use Linux to flash and the directions found here

My first flash failed, so I downloaded a new copy which worked.

After it flashed, it rebooted and asked if I wanted to restore from a backup on my SD card. I said yes to that and selected my recent backup. It then opened Application Manager and selected all the applications to reinstall. It did not get my python2.5dev package, because prior to flashing I had disabled the extras-devel repository. Oh well. It did install openSSh-server (asking for the root password again) and the GPE applications, python 2.5 runtime.

I did not have a backup of my Claws mail settings so I had to enter the account settings all over again. Otherwise Claws installed find and works great. Skype also finally works, for me for the first time on OS2008!

No comments: